Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cloth Diapers Work

Last week I started using cloth diapers again with Daniel. I used them in Nashville after he was born for about two and half months. I had a service, Smile Mommy Diaper Service, and they were great. I didn’t have to wash anything. They picked up the dirties and delivered the cleans. It was a bit expensive, but just right thing for us at that time. Now that I’m an official stay-at-home mom, I couldn’t really justify using a service here in North Carolina. So, I dragged my feet for awhile and used disposables. We made a great friend here in NC who has a seven-year-old son. She has been passing on safety items (plug covers, etc) and odds and ends that they don’t need any more. We were talking one day and she said she wished she could find someone who needed cloth diapers. I said, “We do!” I had been looking at a local consignment/baby store and the new cloth diapers (very nice all-in-ones) were $18.00 a piece. My friend had three dozen flannel diapers that her mother had made for her to use with her son. She gave them to me with five plastic covers. She also gave me their plastic pail. I am so grateful! They are working out well. I went back to the consignment/baby store and bought some more used covers, liners, and a couple of all-in-one diapers to use when we go out. Daniel and I are getting the hang of using them. So far, no major problems. They are much easier to deal with than I thought. I just use regular detergent and wash them in hot water. I run a load every other day. We are using about 8-9 a day. I am still sleeping him in a disposable diaper, but I think I will phase that out soon. Cloth diapers aren’t as hard as you might think. More people should give them a try. Thanks to Stacy, my comfy neighbor, for encouraging me to try them!

No comments: