Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Garden?



I am going to "try" to have an organic vegetable garden this year. I am not known for my ability with growing plants, but I am interested in trying it this year. My neighbors have a nice garden, and they are encouraging me. Also, GDaddy is coming back soon, so he will be able to help me. Already, I have learned a lot from library books and trips to Home Depot. Yesterday I learned that there is no one at Home Depot who can help me figure out how much compost to use on a 4' by 8' plot. Today I will call True Value. Surely they will know. I am reading a book called "Lasagna Gardening" by a woman who grew up in Crossville, TN. In the book, she tells you how to make a garden without tilling or digging. You build up a raised bed from the ground, starting with layers of wet newspaper. I am contemplating trying this method. I started my tomato, cataloupe, basil, and parsley seeds inside today.
Let's see what happens! Let me know if you have any gardening tips.

1 comment:

Mama Goose said...

Your neighbors are a great resource! I am interested in your experience with the raised bed - that is what I want, our soil is crap.