Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mullanoyah

This may seem a little hard to follow, but here is one of today's conversations. We were playing in the backyard. Daniel had some pieces of bark that he was pretending were helicopters. He was putting them into a flower pot tray that had some rain water in it.

D:Here my helicopters. Floating away like a midsummer night.
B: What? Could you say that again, please?
D: My helicopters. There they floating away like a midsummer night.
B: That is an interesting thing to say. What story is that from?
D: Mullanoyah.
B: Oh, Mullanoyah. What is that story about?
D: Mullanoyah not a story. She the one who wrote it.
B: Oh, Mullanoyah is the author?
D:Yeah.
B: Did she write any other stories we know?
D: No, she in the office.
B: Oh, okay.

Later, when we were reading The Extraordinary Egg for probably the 50th time, I noticed one sentence that said something like, "and a full moon like a midsummer night." The story is by Leo Leonni. One of the characters is Marilyn. So, I said,-

B: Oh, there is "midsummer night." Is Leo Leonni 'mullanoyah?'
D: No.
B: Is Marilyn 'Mullanoyah?'
D: (hesitating and smiling at me really big) nooooo?
B: Okay. Well, I really like this story.

I am curious if Mullanoyah will return. :)

No comments: