Friday, February 4, 2011

Astroknots

I wear a hooded zippered sweatshirt in the house usually to be warm. The hood has a drawstring on it that can be pulled pretty far down on either side. Daniel likes to pull the drawstring back and forth. We talked about how each end of the string has a knot on it, so that one end doesn't get lost up inside the hood when you pull on the other side.

Today he was playing with it and said, "What is this?" He was holding the string, so I absent-mindedly said, "That's the string." He said, "No, that's not what it's called." I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "It's an astronaut." I said, "I don't know what you are talking about. I think that is a string." He said, "No, this little part at the end. It's an astronaut." Then I got it. I said, "That part is called a 'knot.' An astronaut is a person in space."

No comments: