Monday, March 8, 2010

Here bird.....worm!

Most of the time Daniel feeds himself. However, if he is really into artwork or a book at the table, I will poke food in his mouth. I call it "baby bird style." I will say, "Let me give you some waffle baby bird." I have explained to him that the reason I say this is because that is the way mother birds feed their babies. They go find an earthworm, get it in their beak, take it back to their baby bird in the the nest, and poke it into the baby's mouth. Last month there was a poem in Highlights Magazine about a baby bird. We've read it a thousand times, and Daniel likes to say "worm" when we read it. Yesterday, we walked down to Bob And Elaine's House. In the driveway, I looked down and saw a long, fat earthworm wriggling around. I showed him to Daniel and told him this is what the mother birds feed their babies. I asked him if he wanted to hold it gently, and he said yes. I put it into his hand, and he held his hand up, turned toward the road, and said, "Here bird....worm!..... Come bird.....worm!" When no bird came immediately to take the worm out of his hand, he passed it back to me and said, "No like it." (the birds don't like it). Now I don't think he believes me that baby birds eat worms.

No comments: